A New Year

I've been thinking a lot about the new year lately. Usually, it stands as a fresh start, the opportunity for growth. Everyone makes resolutions in order to spark some sort of change in their life, whether that be flossing more often (for me, yes) or drinking less gin and tonics (for me, never).

But for 2012, I don't even know what I should resolve to do. There's been so much change in 2011 that I'd appreciate some sort of stasis in the next year. My life was turned upside-down: I left Evanston for a NYC (read: miniscule) apartment surrounded by pigeons and litter, somehow landed a wonderful job for which people pay me to write (I know, right? And you're getting this for free!), and my best friends either moved to Africa or stayed in Chicago. Do you know what it's like when your best friend is in the Tanzanian jungle? It feels horrible. I don't wish it on anyone but my very worst enemies.

So I'm just going to do what I should have been doing anyway. I'm going to floss because my dad's a gum surgeon who went on a long lecture about gingivitis the last time I let him look at my teeth. I'm going to keep my network of scattered friendships as close as possible, given the circumstances. And most of all, since I already have that New York City shoebox, I'm going to explore the city. Really, really explore it. This means walk outside the radius between my apartment and my office.

Hope you have the happiest New Year ever!


[photo cred here, here, and there]