'Tis the Season

Unforeseen perks about living in New York City during the holidays: passing by Christmas tree stands, which virtually appeared overnight. There seems to be one every two or so blocks, and when I walk by, I'm smacked in the face with the warm, refreshing scent of fir trees. I'm that girl who stops and buries her face in the lush needles. Are you surprised? Not at all? Is that a compliment? No? Plus, at night, there are strands of bobbing lights criss-crossed over them. It's like a Christmas fairy just decided to do something about the smell of trash sitting on First Avenue.

When my family opted to buy an enormous (and fake) 12-foot tree, I insisted on getting my own real miniature tree. I just love the fragrance: inviting, a little sharp, and cozy. I get that needles make a mess and dry trees make for an unpleasant fire hazard, but I think that that's worth it. (Although I'd probably take a different stance if I, say, accidentally burned down my building). (Knock on wood). (Pun unintended but so awesome that I'm going to allow it). Real or faux, which do you prefer?


[photo cred here]