Feathered Fancies

I'm going to be up front about this: I'm pining for feather hair extensions. I'm fairly easy on my hair; I dyed it once, a color I thought was auburn but actually closer to an unfortunate shade of purple. My mom convinced me to go back to dark brown by pointing out that my hair didn't match my eyebrows. After that, that was all I could see in the mirror (my mother knows me very well). In comparison, feather hair extensions are a breeze.

However, this desire for feather hair extensions does not mean I want to look like I got on the wrong side of a pack of pigeons or was dragged backwards through the brush. For foolproof feathering, here are a few tips:
1. Neon pink feather extensions look like neon pink feather extensions. They also look as though you tried too hard to fit in when you went to a B-52s concert (in the hopes of hearing Love Shack played live, of course).
2. Therefore, find feathers that are as natural-looking as possible, ideally with shades that riff off your own hair color. This set of five loose feathers can work with anything from dirty blonde to dark brown.
3. Wear feather extensions with your hair loose and casual. These are not for the workplace (unless you're a beauty assistant)(eh, eh?)(just kidding)(kind of). Avoid perching a flock of feathers in upswept hair; a few can be elegant, but the look can turn a bit madcap, à la Marie Antoinette. She wore so many miniature birds in her updos that they had accompanying cages.
4. Don't have time for DIY feather extensions? A pair of long earrings, such as these pearl feather earrings, accomplish the look in seconds.

The key here, as with so many other things, is to keep it subtle. I am not a bird. I'm just a human being with a really big weakness for feathers.
[photo cred here]