Morning Light

In my bedroom at home, I have huge, arching windows that face east. I feel unbelievably spoiled and luxurious when I'm woken by the soft rays of the sun...until those soft rays turn into a heat lamp and before I know it, it's 7:45 AM and I'm sweating like a pig who knows he's dinner. Still, my bedroom windows here in Chicago face west, which means I no longer enjoy the pale glow of morning light. It's the happiest sort of light — it promises sunshine and clear skies, a perfect setting for a lovely day. It's just the thing to make a calm, bright Monday morning.

I spent my weekend bonding with old friends over pints of Stella, ice skating by Lake Michigan, and babysitting my friend's new kitten, Pants. Pants drove me a little crazy. He woke me up by meowing and continuously barreling into my door. I fed him. He kept meowing. I let him into my room, where he took my spot on the bed and proceeded to assault my teddy bear. Did I say teddy bear? I meant pillow. I finally had to put him back in the hallway once he began to claw my comforter. From time to time, he'd sit outside my door and positively holler until I put down my homework and went to play with him, at which point he'd gnaw on my ankles and try to pull down my jeans with his deceptively small claws. Luckily for Pants, he's super adorable. This is what he looks like when he's too sleepy to drive me out of my wits (I could've woken him up for a better picture, but I didn't dare do such a thing):


Totally redeems the 6:30 AM wake-up call he gave me. So tell me, how was your weekend?

P.S. I don't own the furry pink chair in the picture. I swear. Pinky promise.


[photo cred clockwise to 1 via That Kind of Woman, 2 via Patterson Maker, Mario Testino for Vanity Fair April 2004 via Everly True]