Who Killed Cock Robin? A Mystery


.

File:Rouge george.JPG

European Robin (Erithacus rubecula), on the bank of the Lauch, above Herrlisheim, near Colmar: photo by Katz, 2007


File:Robin dtab.jpg

European Robin (Erithacus rubecula), Milton Country Park, Cambridgeshire: photo by DemonTraitor, 2007


Who killed Cock Robin?
I, said the Sparrow,
with my bow and arrow,
I killed Cock Robin.


File:House Sparrow (M) I IMG 7881.jpg

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus), male, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
: photo by J. M. Garg, 2010




Who saw him die?
I, said the Fly,
with my little eye,
I saw him die.



File:Fliege 6301.JPG

Fly
: photo by Hedwig Storch, 2009



Who caught his blood?
I, said the Fish,
with my little dish,
I caught his blood.



File:Blue Betta face closeup.jpg

Blue Betta (Betta splendens): photo by Editor at Large, 2007


Who'll make the shroud?
I, said the Beetle,
with my thread and needle,
I'll make the shroud.


File:Lady-beetle-close-up.jpg

Lady Beetle (Harmonia axyridis): photo by Thomas G. Moertel, 2006


Who'll dig his grave?
I, said the Owl,
with my pick and shovel,
I'll dig his grave.



File:Tawny wiki edit1.jpg

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco)
: photo by K.-M. Hansche, 2006


Who'll be the parson?
I, said the Rook,
with my little book,
I'll be the parson.


File:Rook25feb2007 02 crfpl.jpg

Rook (Corvus frugilegus): photo by AndronovIN, 2007


Who'll be the clerk?
I, said the Lark,
if it's not in the dark,
I'll be the clerk.



File:Mirafra africana1.jpg

Rufous-Naped Lark (Mirafra africana athi), Sweetwaters Game Reserve, Kenya: photo by Jerry Friedman, 2007



Who'll carry the link?
I, said the Linnet,
I'll fetch it in a minute,
I'll carry the link.


File:Carduelis cannabina 01.jpg

Linnet (Carduelis cannabina): photo by Pawel Kuzniar, 2006


Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the Dove,
I mourn for my love,
I'll be chief mourner.


File:White winged doves-Yucatán.jpg

A pair of White-Winged Doves (Zenaida asiatica), considering a nest site near a Yucatán cenote: photo by Jim Conrad, 2008


Who'll carry the coffin?
I, said the Kite,
if it's not through the night,
I'll carry the coffin.


File:Milvus migrans 2005-new.jpg

Black Kite (Milvus migrans): photo by Ferdinand Grossman, 2005


Who'll bear the pall?
We, said the Wren,
both the cock and the hen,
We'll bear the pall.


File:Cistothorus palustris Iona2.jpg

Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris), Iona, Scotland: photo by Greg7, 2008


Who'll sing a psalm?
I, said the Thrush,
as she sat on a bush,
I'll sing a psalm.


File:Catharus guttatus.jpg

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus): photo by Dave Menke, 2008 (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service)


Who'll toll the bell?
I said the bull,
because I can pull,
I'll toll the bell


File:Bull Oostvaardersplassen 2.JPG

Bull (Bos primogenius taurus), Oostvardersplassen, The Netherlands: photo by Rex, 2005


All the birds of the air
fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
when they heard the bell toll
for poor Cock Robin.



File:Erithacus-rubecula-melophilus  Dublin-Ireland.jpg

British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus), Merrion Squre, Dublin: photo by David Jordan, 2008



Is the sad tale of Cock Robin a murder archetype in a nursery rhyme, a kind of children's story employed by a culture to resolve issues symbolically through catharsis, so that violence and danger, while recognized as real, may be moved off, in the child's mind, from the world of humans, where evil exists, to that of nature, where there had previously been an innocence that would, in a world like this one, be perhaps too much for a grown person to bear?



File:Rouge george.JPG

European Robin (Erithacus rubecula), on the bank of the Lauch, above Herrlisheim, near Colmar: photo by Katz, 2007


Who Killed Cock Robin? origin unknown, first published in Tommy Thumb's Pretty Song Book, c.1744, extended version first published c. 1770