Monday Morning

I love being the only one in my family who can speak French. Foreign languages are secrets that I always want to learn and which, in my family, I never have to share. My parents used to say that French is a beautiful yet useless language, which quickly changed when my dad broke our Europcar in Normandy and only I could communicate with the mechanic.

I'd like to start this week off with Things I'd Like to Wear But Unfortunately, Cannot. I am quite pear-shaped and my hips are going to make childbirth virtually painless. Nevertheless, I can't help hankering over this:
I love the hints of kimono about it, and the folds + stripes are definitely up my alley (I'm a sucker for fabricwork combined with patterns). The silhouette, though the most beautiful thing about this skirt, is my downfall. This design would only accentuate my hips and ultimately, make me look square on the bottom. If you have a boyish body type and are looking to amp things up, this skirt will create curves and work as a go-to piece for the summer.

As a result, it's on to Things I'd Like to Wear and Can, No Matter How Wide my Hips Are. These consist of A-line skirts with spare detail as far from the hips as humanly possible, and this happens to be the perfect candidate:
This skirt still fulfills my desire for pattern (florals!) and fabric detail - plus, I can't go wrong with the abundance of lace and that dusky blue shade. It will subtly draw the eye away from my hips and balance my proportions quite nicely. I can pair it with a pale blouse and white flats for an easy transition to the office, too (to the office! How old am I? No offense).

Have a gorgeous start to your week, my friends!
[photo cred via This Is Glamorous]