Breton Extravaganza

(Meg Ryan as Kate in French Kiss)

First, you dear wonderful lovely people, thank you so much for all of your comments. When I read them, a lot of blushing and bright smiles slip into my day no matter how hell-bent Chicago is on keeping the weather at a chilly and grey 55 degrees. I usually make a bad habit of starting a project, working religiously on it, and then abandoning it shortly afterwards with a declaration that "I'll never be a writer/watercolorist/personal shopper for my older brother/pianist/seamstress/professional Food Network chef à la Giada DeLaurentiis!" But you keep me so inspired that I'll probably never quit this and for that, thank you!

I'm so into Breton stripes, which first captured my heart with Meg Ryan's role in French Kiss. Yet the classic styles (skinny-striped, black-and-white) rub me the wrong way. Naturally, I've taken it upon myself to hunt down a few options that add some oomph to the nautical staple without going overboard (pun so intended). Whether it be a dolman cut, a luxurious material, a shot of grey, sleek necklines, or variation in the stripes, any update brings it away from the coastline and into the city. Or, in my case, a college campus. I've compiled a list of styles that I would own in a heartbeat if I could; I know I just have a huge thing for worn denim shorts, but wouldn't these look awesome with worn denim shorts and canvas sneakers (I'm thinking bright Keds or these Bensimon)? Or maybe slim dark jeans and last week's wedges?






(from top to bottom)
Vince Breton Stripe Tee, Nordstrom, $195
DKNY Striped Stretch Silk Tunic, Saks Fifth Avenue, $145
Vince Striped Cashmere-blend Sweater, Bloomingdales, $142
Aqua Striped Cotton Boatneck Sweater, Bloomingdales, $68
Tory Burch Bernadette Striped Top, Saks Fifth Avenue, $195