Working Girl

I've been on a desperate hunt for clothes that can be categorized under the "professional" heading. I figure I can wear pencil skirts with embellished tanks and light jackets (for the love of God, no boxy blazers or bland cardigans). On the other hand, I know that it will be summer in New York City (sticky, concrete, and unpleasant), so I must keep an eye out for any light, flowing dresses. I have to admit, though, I'm more than excited to pick up blueberries from the streetside fruit vendors on my way to work, as I did every day last summer.
I considered buying armfuls of cheap dresses to fill the deficit of "appropriate" in my wardrobe; I then realized that a) I'll probably need "appropriate" clothing after graduation anyway and b) I don't like cheap clothes because there's a reason they're cheap (poor quality, usually). As a result, I've made it my duty to haunt all sample sales, which is how I found this gem:
I know. I KNOW. I wish the picture was clear enough for the detailing on the bodice to be more visible, because it really is exquisite. Unfortunately, Rue La La allows other shoppers to purchase pieces that are already in your shopping cart (Seriously? At least Gilt gives a ten minute period) and I missed it. Naturally, I entered a stage of severe self-loathing for slight procrastination before finding a very similar dress, though without the pleating on the bodice. Still, this particular dress is available here at full price. It is so unbelievably perfect for summer and marries fashionable with professional quite beautifully. For now, I will be roaming the sample sales to find some more pieces (while studying for my midterms, of course). If you have any suggestions as to how I can reassess my college wardrobe with an eye to professionalism, let me know! Hope your weeks are going splendidly!