Scoop du Jour: cobi

Cobi Ladner, former editor of my favourite design mag Canadian House & Home, is trying out a new hat. She's launched her website cobi which stands for "collection of beautiful ideas". Her philosophy is that homes should be personalized, unique spaces; a reflection of you and not your decorator or anyone else's recycled ideas.

I kind of agree with her. Show me a piece of furniture/fabric/wallpaper/lighting that you love and think is so 'you', and I'll show you 13 blogs, 2 magazine articles, and an HGTV show where that same item has appeared in other people's houses. With the speed of design today, good ideas become stale ideas when too many people jump on the bandwagon (trellis pattern, anyone?). I'm guilty of this just as anyone else (you have noticed my ubiquitous white shaker kitchen with stainless appliances, haven't you?) so I'm interested to see what cobi brings to the table. Then again, I think Domino magazine tried to promote the same idea, that different is much more appealing than sameness, and we all know how that ended.