Kitchen Fabric

It’s a long weekend here this weekend and HandyMan and I have some exciting stuff planned… shopping for door casing, transition strips, touching up the paint. Woohoo, I can’t contain my excitement :o\ One other fun thing we are doing is making a trip to Designer Fabrics and pick up some samples. There is a sliding door at the end of our galley kitchen and I really don’t like the racoons and other googly-eyed creatures hanging out in our backyard peeking in. So, I’ll be putting up a curtain at that end and also have a roman blind over the sink.

The fabric needs to pull in colours from the adjoining dining room, which has bold yellowy-green & brown wallpaper and white wainscoting, and the hallway which has white trim and charcoal grey walls. (Hmm, that colour scheme sounds a litle frenetic, now that I mention it). Since the kitchen cabinets and layouts are all very angular and linear, I thought we could soften that by using a floral pattern. I need to also consider the scale and complexity of the pattern...it should be smaller than the dining wallpaper and should either have more/tighter pattern or looser/less pattern than the wallpaper. Anything too similar would make the rooms 'compete' rather than 'complement'. Here’s a few contenders I’ve picked from the website:



Finding the right pattern is going to be a bit like buying a wedding gown... you never know what's going to work until you try it on.