The Burning House


Have you read The Burning House, a blog on which users submit photos of the items they'd take if their house was burning? I've been fascinated by what objects prove to be most significant to people — paintings, plants, animal figurines. The pets are my favorite; they always look so puzzled in the photos. I decided to do my own and was actually surprised by what I chose:


(from upper left, clockwise-ish)

1. My baby blanket. Please. There's no way in hell that I would leave this behind.
2. My Moleskine journal. Every few months or so, I come up with a really great one-liner and write it down. I'd also be terribly embarrassed if this were salvaged from the hypothetical ashes and someone read it.
3. My mini Moleskine journal. One-liners on the go!
4. A photo of my cousin Kristyn, who passed away when she was seven.
5. An anthology of the Paris Review, which I haven't read yet, and The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which I want to read again and again.
6. A flask, because my hypothetical house is on fire and I probably need some gin.
7. A glass figurine from Venice of a cat with a fish in its stomach. I find it morbid... and awesome.
8. My coaster collection indulges my kleptomaniac side. The one on top is from Sepia, a restaurant in the West Loop of Chicago.
9. A painting of the Eiffel Tower. Surprise! Not.
10. An Emilio Pucci scarf. No explanation needed.
11. Satin Marc by Marc Jacobs boat shoes, which I've worn for six years and counting. Adorable, comfortable, and completely impractical. Where am I ever going to find another pair of satin boat shoes?
12. Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti jacket. I just love it.
14. My alarm clock. This is just one of those comfort objects that make a room feel like home. I've had it forever and still schlep it back and forth from NY to Chicago, even for short, weeklong breaks.


What would you choose? If you have done or would like to do this, I'd love to see!


[First photo by Jordan Brown]